At the Nourishing Wellness Medical Center, we believe that these five test will help assess a woman’s bone, breast heart and hormone health. How many you’ve had done in the past 1-2 years?
- A comprehensive heart health evaluation. Heart disease is still the #1 killer in women. And yet, 50% of all women who die from a heart attack may not have elevated lipid levels. Women need to evaluate their risk with a more comprehensive assessment instead of a just a conventional cholesterol test. This is why we prefer to order the Singulex test for women and men. Click this Singulex link to learn all the markers we order for a woman to have a proper evaluation of her metabolic and heart health: http://www.singulex.com/asset/singulex-testing-patient-information
- A DEXA scan to assess your bone health–A patient showing signs of osteoporosis is the most common reason that your doctor might order a DEXA scan; however, we order a dexascan on all women to identify osteopenia, a less severe form of osteoporosis. A DEXA scan can show you which bones have the lowest density so you can make the food, supplement, hormone and lifestyle changes needed to improve bone status without medications like Fosamax. DEXA scans are completely painless, and use far less radiation than a traditional X-ray. Typically, we order this test every 2 years and then do blood work in between to assess how well the body is making or excreting bone.
- Check Vitamin D levels– Recent research has shown that vitamin D acts more like a hormone and is important to every cell and tissue throughout the body. For decreasing risk for all cancers, proper immune function, bone density, heart health and mood disorders, getting adequate vitamin D levels are critical for women’s optimal health. Most women are below ideal serum levels and levels vary depending on your sun exposure and Vitamin D intake. Have your doctor check at least twice a year- summer and winter to ensure your levels are adequate.
- A thermogram to assess your breast health– Breast cancer continues to be the leading cause of death among American women between the age of 40-55; however, cancer is often not detected with a mammogram in younger women. A thermogram is a non-invasive test that uses infrared instead of radiation to assess inflammation or increased tumor related blood flow, 8-10 years before mammography or a physical exam can detect a cancerous mass. Many people will consider getting this option alongside an ultrasound during pregnancy, as breast health is vital during such a period of time. but having this thermogram alongside it is very important., as it gives women time to take preventative measures BEFORE cancer has had the time to develop.
- A Comprehensive Hormone Panel- If you are over 45 and have weight loss resistance, metabolic or thyroid related issues, you are in peri-menopause or past menopause, you would benefit from a complete hormone panel to properly assess you health issues. Low estrogen and progesterone can impact your brain, breast, bone and hearth health. Knowing sooner means you can address any issues with more ease. These are the common tests we feel will help you know more about your health issues. If your levels are below optimal, you may benefit from bio-identical hormones or key nutrients to help your body stay in balance.
- DHEA and Cortisol are indicators of your stress hormones
- Estradiol and Total Estrogen
- Total and Free Testosterone
- TSH , Free T3, T4, to assess your thyroid health
Call your doctor to schedule an appointment and request that these test be ordered on you if they have not been done in the past 1-2 years. If you are seeking a doctor/ dietitian combo that can address your health and nutrition needs from an integrative and functional medical perspective, schedule a 20 min complementary phone call with either Dr. Peters or Jeanne at 310-373-7830. We can answer your questions about any of these test and how our programs could greatly benefit your health.
Jeanne and Allen Peters MD are the co-founders of the Nourishing Wellness Medical Center. Their mission is to help you feel fantastic and age naturally through healthy eating, hormone optimization and lifestyle medicine. As a doctor/dietitian duo, they treat the root cause of hormone imbalances, inflammation, adrenal stress, and weight loss resistance, and co-create a plan of action to re-balance and rejuvenate your body.